What can Be expected during the dental cleaning?
- You can expect your first dental cleaning to last around 90 minutes. X-rays are usually done during this time period as well. Typically, a trained hygienist will do the cleaning, and the dentist will come in for an exam at the end. Most people find that dental cleanings are painless, and do not cause any discomfort.
- There are two important steps to a dental cleaning:
- The first step is scaling the teeth, whereby the hygienist will remove the plaque and tartar from the tooth surfaces. This can be performed by hand or with electric scalers depending on the hygienists preference. Typically, the hygienist will also evaluate the pockets of the gums and remove any plaque buildup there.
- The second step is polishing to remove any final plaque and buff the teeth.
Why is it important to get cleanings twice a year?
- Routine dental cleanings are important to maintaining good oral hygiene. Professional cleaning by a hygienist can remove mineralized plaque that may develop even with careful brushing and flossing, particularly in areas that are difficult to reach.
- It is recommended you go in for a cleaning once every six months.