Dr Edward Kusek
Dr Edward Kusek is committed to providing excellence in dentistry.
He stands out as a leading dentist in Sioux Falls and uses the latest in dentistry techniques to provide you with a beautiful and healthy smile. Additionally, Dr. Edward Kusek believes strongly in education to prevent oral health problems before they occur, and makes sure to keep patients fully informed about their dental health. Dr. Kusek is a general dentist truly compassionate about continuing education and offering his patients the latest advancements in general dentistry.
Hometown and Education
- Born and raised in Omaha, NE, Dr. Kusek is a graduate of Creighton University, and received his Doctorate in Dental Surgery from the University Of Nebraska College Of Dentistry in 1984.
- Upon graduation, Dr. Kusek established his practice in Sioux Falls, and has been serving the Sioux Falls area for over 33 years.
- Dr. Kusek enjoys being very knowledgeable in the field of restorative and implant dentistry.
- He began placing and restoring dental implants in 1987, and is continually advancing in techniques to restore healthy, natural smiles.
- He holds the title of Diplomate of the American Board of Oral Implantology, one of approximately 400 worldwide.
- He also holds several other higher levels of distinction including:
- Honored Fellow of the American Academy of Implant Dentistry
- Diplomate of the International Congress of Oral Implantologists
- Masterships in the Academy of General Dentistry
- Mastership in the Academy of Laser Dentistry
- He is 1 of 23 professionals worldwide that are recognized course providers for Laser Dentistry.
- Dr. Kusek received his Life Long Learning and Service to Dentistry Award from AGD in 2012 and 2017.
- Along with these titles, Dr. Kusek is also an adjunct professor for the hygiene program at the University of South Dakota.
- He is also a long time member of the American Dental Association. South Dakota Dental Association, and Southeastern Dental Society.
- In 1995, Dr. Kusek completed training for conscious sedation at Miami Valley Hospital by Dr. Daniel Becker of Dayton, OH, one of the more rigorous trainings in the country.
- Dr. Kusek began using laser dentistry in 2004, and has lectured nationally and internationally for organizations, such as:
- Academy of General Dentistry
- Academy of Laser Dentistry
- Academy of Implant Dentistry, American Dental Association
- Dentsply Friadant
- International Congress of Oral Implantology
- Star of the North
- Star of the South
- University of Nebraska
- The Greater New York Meeting.
- Dr. Kusek is a clinical instructor for Straumann (implant dentistry training) and Ultradent (laser training).
- He has published fourteen articles including:
- Use of the YSGG Laser in Dental Implant Surgery
- High Technology in Implant Dentistry, Part I
- High Technology in Implant Dentistry, Part II
- Implant Placement in Infected Sites
- The Use of Laser Technology and Stereolithography to aide in the Placement of a Supperiosteal Implant
- Tissue-punch Technique in Non-attached Tissue using the YSGG Laser
- Soft Tissue Management after Implant Placement
- Flapless Implant Surgery with Aesthetic Temporaries
- Esthetic Crown Lengthening with Reverse Vestibuloplasty
- Immediate Implant Placement into Infected Sites: Bacterial Studies of Photoacoustic Effects of the YSGG Laser
- The Er;Cr:YSGG Laser: A Perfect Fit with Implant Dentistry
- Five Year Retrospective Study of Laser-Assisted Periodontal Therapy
- Removable Prosthetics: Bad Attachments or Bad Design?
- Lasers Expand the Procedural Scope for General Dentists
- Failure Followed by a Successful Outcome
How did you get into dentistry?
- Dr Kusek's childhood had large role on him becoming a dentist. His father was an extremely skilled machinist and artist. He was able to visualize the correct tool needed for each situation and create exactly what was needed.
- With an interest in biology, Dr Kusek took his admiration of his father's work and found the perfect field that blends science, engineering and artistry.
Tell us about your family.
- Dr Kusek has been married to his wife, Jody for over 30 years.
- They met while Dr Kusek was in dental school and had their first son, Adam, shortly after graduating.
- Dr Kusek also has a daughter, Amanda, who has been a dental hygienist with our practice for nearly 10 years and another son, Alex, who recently graduated from dental school and has now joined our practice.
What do you do in your free time?
- Those that know him, know that Dr Kusek's favorite hobby is learning more and expanding his scope of dentistry by attending many continuing education courses both nationally and internationally as well as serving as a executive member on various dental associations.
- Beyond dentistry, Dr. Kusek enjoys spending time with his family, especially his four grandchildren, two of whom are identical twin girls that keep grandpa on his toes when he babysits!
- He also enjoys distance running, golfing and traveling. Some of his favorite vacations are the national and state parks in Utah and Colorado as well as accommodating his grandchildren when they visit Disneyland for the first times!
- Being raised in the state and having lived through the dynasty years of the 70-90s, Dr Kusek is a diehard fan of the Nebraska Cornhusker football team. He